Foren
Foren > Phonographen > Diskussionskreis Phonographen > Gerätevorstellung
Parlograph - Modell?
Moderatoren:SchellackFreak, berauscht, GrammophonTeam, Charleston1966, DGAG, Der_Designer, LoopingLoui
Autor Eintrag
GrammophonTeam
Do Mär 27 2014, 14:47 Druck Ansicht
Seitenbetreiber

⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: So Sep 04 2011, 14:54
Unser Mitglied prim hat aufgrund sprachlicher Barrieren etwas Schwierigkeiten einen Eintrag zu eröffnen bzw. Bilder zu laden. Deswegen eröffnen wir hier für ihn.

Seine Frage: Ist bekannt um welches Modell des "Parlograph" es sich handelt? Gab es verschiedene bzw. kann man ein ungefähres Baujahr eingrenzen?

Über Antworten in Englisch würde er sich sehr freuen!

krammofoon
Do Mär 27 2014, 15:26
Schellack-Gnadenhof
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Mo Jun 27 2011, 20:47
Servus,

leider kein Plan!
Hier müssen definitiv Norman, Stefan, Martin oder Andreas mit ihrem Fachwissen herhalten.

Gruss
Georg
Starkton
Do Mär 27 2014, 19:02
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Mi Okt 05 2011, 21:47
I don't collect dictating machines but I guess your machine dates from about 1925. Without catalogues it is difficult to tell, because Parlographs didn't change much during the entire production period. Spring driven models are less common than those with electric motor.
prim
Fr Mär 28 2014, 18:20
Gast
thanks for opening this forum for me. 'm antiques restorer and this is my first "parlograph". In Spain not encounter experts in the field. All I know is that the machine can be "Carl Lindström" found similar but with electric motor.
seems to be more prepared for long cylinders and has variable speed.
has a lovely watches, if necessary I can attach photos and videos.
Now thanks to your magnificent web,. I'm learning.
I think this machine can rerecord on edison black discs and burn to brown, but can not find brown.
Starkton
Sa Mär 29 2014, 17:51
prim schrieb ...

seems to be more prepared for long cylinders and has variable speed.
I think this machine can rerecord on edison black discs and burn to brown, but can not find brown.

You will need oversize cylinders for dictating purposes, cast from stearic acid, sodium carbonate, sterine and paraffin. Most turn up moldy and must be shaved before use, like this one below:

[ Bearbeitet Sa Mär 29 2014, 18:03 ]
veritas
Sa Mär 29 2014, 19:19
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Do Jun 28 2012, 17:52
Thanks to Stephan, all the essentials were already said. The spring motor is indeed quite unusual but also looks late and very sophisticated. Let me know if you need to have a cylinder shaved. I don't do this in bulk as takes plenty of time per record, but one or two shouldn't be a problem with my hand-cranked shaver.

You may also use turpentine to wipe down the surface of a wax cylinder. The surface will get smeary like warm chocolate, which you then can take off with a soft paper towel.
The wiped surface will not become as shiny or even as you get it with a shaver, but this quick 'n dirty method works adequately enough to give a cylinder at least once a recording trial.

Depending on the construction of the recorder, you might be even able to use a standard-size cylinder blank, which is not only shorter in length, but thinner. Also the wax might be softer. But if the recording stylus is able to touch the surface, it should also provide a recording good enough to be played back several times. So, you may not necessarily need those obscure dictation cylinders.

Although machines with do vary, one can say in general, that you cannot play any pre-recorded commercial cylinders with a phonograph like this. This is mostly due to the different groove pitch, which is on post-1912 machines is normally 150 tracks per inch. And commercial two-minute cylinders require 100 tpi, 4-minute cylinders 200 tpi. Any attempt to play such a pre-recorded wax cylinder will likely be harmful to the record, so beware. That is one major reason, why only so few people collect business machines. You simply cannot dance to them.

Regards, Norman
Webseite
prim
Sa Mär 29 2014, 21:40
Gast
Thank you all for your contributions. Veritas, Yes, I need to record cylinders, black cylinders have to shave. I have not tried to record but the mechanism works. I would like to get as exposing starkton. How I can get those? Recorded for testing.
I have tested this machine playing edison cylinder and works well. top speed is just 160rpm. I have no quality recordings, something always heard background noise, or possibly the incompatibility issue.
amply the recording stylus touches the surface. I've put a horn. with headphones listening well. to have the complete machine, also need the mic, know her any for sale?.
Starkton
Sa Mär 29 2014, 22:58
prim schrieb ...

I would like to get as exposing starkton. How I can get those? Recorded for testing.
also need the mic, know her any for sale?.

One is offered here, but don't spend 49 Euro: Link - Hier klicken

The cylinder below would fit perfectly, but I haven't seen one for sale for a long time:
Inhalt, Bild oder Datei nur fuer angemeldete Mitglieder

PS: You can easily build a speaking horn from cardboard.

[ Bearbeitet So Jan 21 2018, 10:57 ]

Forum:     Nach oben

Über Uns

Wir sind mehr als ein Forum! Als eingetragener Verein arbeiten wir an der Beständigkeit unserer Leidenschaft.

Über uns

Wir suchen Dich!

Du schreibst Artikel, möchtest im Forum als Moderator aktiv werden? Dir liegt Social Media. Bewahre Wissen! Wir warten auf dich.

Schreib uns

Tipps

Einsteiger-Ratschläge für optimale Nutzung und wichtige Aspekte beim Grammophon und Schellackplatten-Kauf.

Zu den Informationen