Foren
Foren > Phonographen > Diskussionskreis Phonographen > Gerätevorstellung
Excelsior (EWC) Phonograph Model/ Reproducer?
Moderatoren:SchellackFreak, berauscht, GrammophonTeam, Charleston1966, DGAG, Der_Designer, LoopingLoui
Autor Eintrag
zippyorzippysam
Fr Jun 19 2020, 17:10 Druck Ansicht
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Fr Jun 19 2020, 10:51
There are few threads in the forum regarding the identification of Excelsior (EWC) Phonograph Models. I have an Excelsior phonograph, as shown in the images below. The wooden box does not have any markings, and the EWC logo is visible on the sidebar. I also have two reproducers for the EWC and not sure about the original one for the machine. Can someone assist me with identification?
Thank you

alang
Fr Jun 19 2020, 17:37
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Di Jun 12 2012, 19:52
Congratulations to a nice and relatively rare phonograph. What you have is not two reproducers, but rather a reproducer and a recorder. The difference is that the reproducer is used to play cylinder records, while the recorder allows you to record (cut) new records. Do not try to play existing records with the recorder, because it has a cutting stylus that will destroy your recordings. To records you need a blank shaved wax cylinder.

Andreas
gramofan
Fr Jun 19 2020, 17:39
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Sa Okt 01 2011, 20:32
This is very simple. Just look at the writing on the upper side: The Reproducer is for playback of prefabricated recorded cylinders (or those produced by yourself), the Recorder for recording your own records on a recording blank. Both are original to Excelsior. They show the typical logo.
zippyorzippysam
Fr Jun 19 2020, 18:32
Ohh. I missed it completely! The seller played one of her records using the recorder as the stylus of the reproducer is missing and said the sound coming out was faint. Now it makes sense. I did not play any as my 2-minute records are on its way from the seller. Any idea about the model number and the manufacturing date?
Telraphon
Sa Jun 20 2020, 22:55
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Mo Apr 03 2017, 18:57
As you can see in the pictures, the recorder is also no longer in its original condition or functional. The original cutting saphire is missing, and instead someone apparently glued the needle of a modern electric crystal pickup system from the 70s/80s for vinyl records onto the membrane. You cant play or record any cylinders or blanks with that creation without causing major damage to them.

[ Bearbeitet Sa Jun 20 2020, 23:01 ]
veritas
So Jun 21 2020, 16:18
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Do Jun 28 2012, 17:52
The year of manufacture should be around 1905, but I am sure someone has more precise data on this. Many of these machines where sold outside Germany so they might have been rebranded, stripped of their decals or just ordered without one in the first place. I am quite certain that the wooden box is original and matching. Technically, many Excelsior machines just as that one are often a loose "interpretation" of Columbia phongoraphs. This one resembles many identical features that can be found on an Eagle and the Q.

As I see some Blue Amberols boxes beside the machine, if they have their matching cylinders inside, they'll all be 4-minute cylinders and will not play on that machine. The stylus for the reproducer is normally mounted within a little dome (very light-weight, made from sheet metal). It's usually a sapphire but a well-shaped glass rod will work just fine. The tip is quite blunt like the one of a regular ballpoint pen, roughly .9 to 1mm in diameter.
Webseite
DGAG
Mo Jun 22 2020, 11:09

⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: So Dez 31 2017, 12:30
This is an Excelsior-Phonograph Type K, because of the crank (Kurbel in German). A manufacturing date of 1905 seems about right.
zippyorzippysam
Mo Jun 22 2020, 12:21
Dear Telraphon: Thank you very much for the clarification on the recorder.
Dear Norman: Thank you for the information about the stylus. I am in the process of ordering a stylus and rebuilding the reproducer.

"DGAG" You are correct about the type. I found the manual that is corresponding to this machine. It contains all the EWC machines from 1903 to 1905. Type K is the first to appear on it.

alang
Mo Jun 22 2020, 14:26
⇒ Mitglied seit ⇐: Di Jun 12 2012, 19:52
Great that you were able to find a catalog description. Based on this you have "Ausstattung B" with both the "Aluminium-Wiedergabe-Membrane" (Aluminum Reproducer) and the "Aufnahme-Membrane" (Recorder). Congratulations to finding such a complete Machine.

Andreas
zippyorzippysam
Mo Jun 22 2020, 17:39
alang schrieb ...

Great that you were able to find a catalog description. Based on this you have "Ausstattung B" with both the "Aluminium-Wiedergabe-Membrane" (Aluminum Reproducer) and the "Aufnahme-Membrane" (Recorder). Congratulations to finding such a complete Machine.

Andreas

Thank you Andreas! :)

Forum:     Nach oben

Über Uns

Wir sind mehr als ein Forum! Als eingetragener Verein arbeiten wir an der Beständigkeit unserer Leidenschaft.

Über uns

Wir suchen Dich!

Du schreibst Artikel, möchtest im Forum als Moderator aktiv werden? Dir liegt Social Media. Bewahre Wissen! Wir warten auf dich.

Schreib uns

Tipps

Einsteiger-Ratschläge für optimale Nutzung und wichtige Aspekte beim Grammophon und Schellackplatten-Kauf.

Zu den Informationen